Risk Assessments 101 for Community and Midsize Banks
Course Number: Webinar
Course Code: ABA
Although at one time limited to anti-money laundering (AML) and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) protocols, risk assessments are now used across bank operations and business lines, including lending, information security, and consumer privacy. Coincidently, supervisory and compliance expectations for risk assessments are increasing for institutions of all sizes.
Many institutions are needing to train staff across business lines to identify data, produce supporting evidence and reference materials, and complete assessments, either as project leads or as part of a collaborative team.
During this interactive webinar, you will learn how to adopt, implement, and complete a general risk assessment for your bank’s compliance program. The same approach can be used across bank operations to produce an assessment of risk for cybersecurity, consumer privacy (GDPR)/CCPA), or fair lending, third-party due diligence reviews, as well as other compliance areas.
The webinar will conclude with an important and often missed component of a risk assessment: integrating the lessons learned into your banking operations as revisions to your policies, procedures, departmental memos, and governance documents.
Although, the program will focus on completing risk assessments at community and midsize institutions, the approach is relevant to any institution needing to produce effective, efficient, and consistent risk assessments when time, funding, and personnel is limited.
– Inspiring buy-in from management and ownership of the assessment process from staff
– Outlining the characteristics of an effective risk assessment program
– Working through a hypothetical risk assessment and identifying common mistakes and pitfalls
– Revising policies and procedures when risk is identified and mitigation is required
– Developing an approach to risk assessments for institutions with limited resources or expanding traditional assessment responsibilities to new business lines or operations
– Denyette DePierro, CERP, Vice President and Senior Counsel, Center for Payments and Cybersecurity, American Bankers Association (moderator)
– John M. Geiringer, Partner, Barack Ferrazzano, Kirschbaum & Nagelberg, LLP
Audience: Chief Risk Officers, Risk Managers, Chief Operational Risk Officers, Chief Compliance Officers, Compliance Managers, Chief Information Security Officers, Chief Information Officers, Chief Technology Officers, Directors of Third-Party Risk Management, Managers of Third-Party Risk Management, Chief Procurement Officers, Chief Information Security Officers, CERPS, CRCMs, CPAs